My adventures with lactose intolerance and Fibromyalgia



After spending a day in bed violently ill with cramps and vomiting after reintroducing lactose food back into my diet I can safely say, never again!

Vomiting and holding your body tense due to cramps has a massive effect on Fibromyalgia pain so to say yesterday was not a good day would be an understatement. After a day in bed and a good cry due to pain levels, I am here a day on to tell the tale.


Although I have had IBS for a very long time and Fibromyalgia for four years now I never really made the link with dairy produce until I completed the Vital Plan ProgrammeDuring the initial Healing Phase, all foods that can potentially disrupt digestive dysfunction are eliminated to allow the gut to heal. This phase typically lasts two weeks to two months, depending on the level of dysfunction present. I always knew I had a massive dysfunction in my digestive system, looking back I believe the damage was done long ago when I entered a period of *self-harming with food. This lasted about eighteen months when I just decided not to eat,  then years of strict dieting, binge eating, laxative abuse and self-induced vomiting after meals. 

*Self-harming implies self-inflicted, this is wrong and possibly deserves a blog rant all to itself. No one that self-harms does it because they want to! It is usually a result of being let down by the mental health system, not being aware that there is a medical issue that needs help or a million other things. It is a coping mechanism to a bigger issue, not a simple act of self-infliction. 

I can not go back in time and rectify this damage that was done to my digestive system I can only now love it for what it is. The learning is on going and days like yesterday are simply part of the journey. 

During the Vital program last year, I gave up dairy products and without lactose, in my body, I really did feel a difference. It was the first link for me that my body can not tolerate lactose. 


A major source of lactose is milk, including cow's milk, goat's milk, and sheep's milk and products made from them. The most common high-lactose foods include:

  • Milk, milkshakes and other milk-based beverages.
  • Whipping cream and coffee creamer.
  • Ice cream, ice milk, sherbet.
  • Cheese.
  • Butter.
  • Puddings, custards.
  • Cream soups, cream sauces.
  • Foods made with milk.
Symptoms of lactose intolerance can be mild or severe, depending on how much lactase your body makes. Symptoms usually begin 30 minutes to 2 hours after eating or drinking milk or milk products. If you have lactose intolerance, your symptoms may include:
  • Bloating.
  • Pain or cramps in the lower belly.
  • Gurgling or rumbling sounds in the lower belly.
  • Gas.
  • Loose stools or diarrhea. Sometimes the stools are foamy.
  • Throwing up.
Many people think they are lactose-intolerant because the symptoms of lactose intolerance are very common symptoms. If you feel sick after drinking a glass of milk one time, you probably do not have lactose intolerance. But if you feel sick every time you have milk, ice cream, or another dairy product, you may have lactose intolerance.
Sometimes people who have never had problems with milk or dairy products suddenly have lactose intolerance there is a large incidence of lactose intolerance within the Fibromyalgia community so if you have Fibromyalgia, IBS and suffer any of the above symptoms following milk products then maybe talk to your doctor and start a symptom diary and period of elimination. 
Today I am feeling a bit better so had to type a blog about it as someone else may benefit from my words. I never thought it would be possible to be so unwell following what I ate. 
Food for thought.
Do you have fibromyalgia and lactose intolerance? Please comment and share your views on this subject. 
Looking back I think my reaction was so intense as I am also on a course of antibiotics, again this always disrupts the natural flora inside my gut and I often need time to heal from candida after antibiotics. 
My plan now is NEVER EVER EVER have dairy lactose products, lots of natural healing of good healthy foods and a course of probiotics to help my digestive system to regain balance.

 Love and gentle hugs to you all

Find me also on FACEBOOK [] INSTAGRAM  []  TWITTER []  PINTEREST









Comments

My readers favourite posts